- This is a boxed set and provides everything required to set up a hive. With 4 intrances, ventilation plugs and plugs. With the correct sized Forstner bit for drilling the necessary holes.
The recommendation is to have 3 intrances in the brood box and one in whichever box is used above the queen excluder. Buy now
- Includes everything in the starter set to convert another hive, without the already provided Forstner bit in the starter kit.Buy now
Small commercial Apiary:
All the information of hive management and improving bee health fails to identify the issues regarding a nest (hive) entrance that is too large
The design of the Langstroth floor/entrance was problematic for the following simple reasons:
- It directs all bee movements through the already congested brood box;
- The entrance is indefensible;
- Its size is hard for the beekeeper to manage.
Upstairs/Downstairs Intrance advantages:
- Easier for the colony to defend against wasps, moths, Varroa and rodents, with wasps being totally excluded in our trials
- First line of defence in an IPM approach for honey bees to monitor the hive entrance.
- Decreased aggression/defensive behaviour
- Easier hive ventilation without having to open the hives to check roof meshes and clean
- Simple method to close hives for transportation, to keep colonies in or while applying treatments.
- Improved use of brood comb for laying given improved; thermoregulatory effect.
- Simple method to ‘bank’, mate and develop several queens in one colony.
- Vastly simpler method of making an increase without the need to add a work force and transferring frames.
- Improved uniting and potential maintenance of two queen colonies
- Increased hive volume without loss of foraging efficiency.
- Resembles an entrance that the bees would create in the wild. Honey bees have
evolved strategies to closely regulate the internal environment of their nest cavities
through heating, cooling:
- Makes ‘Cold Way’ Warm (Sword and Shield) with all its benefits for the storage of pollen and honey;
- Exit for drones above the queen excluder.