A boxed set. Provides everything required to set up a hive. With 4 intrances, ventilation plugs and blank plugs. Plus Sawtoothed forster bit, for drilling the necessary holes
Includes everything in the starter set to convert another hive, without the already provided Forstner bit in the starter kit
Small Commercial Apiary
10 Add-on kits with Forstner bit and instructions.
Export and distribution
If you are interested in exporting or distributing Upstairs Downstairs intrances, please contact us.
All the information of hive management and improving bee health fails to identify the issues regarding a nest (hive) entrance that is too large
The design of the Langstroth floor/entrance was problematic for the following simple reasons:
- It directs all bee movements through the already congested brood box;
- The entrance is indefensible;
- Its size is hard for the beekeeper to manage.
Upstairs/Downstairs Intrance advantages:
- Easier for the colony to defend against wasps, moths, Varroa and rodents, with wasps being totally excluded in our trials
- Provides 360° defence for guard bees.
- Decreased aggression/defensive behaviour
- Easier hive ventilation without having to open the hives to check roof meshes and clean
- Simple method to close hives for transportation, to keep colonies in or while applying treatments.
- Improved use of brood comb for laying given improved; thermoregulatory effect.
- Simple method to ‘bank’, mate and develop several queens in one colony.
- Vastly simpler method of making an increase without the need to add a work force and transferring frames.
- Improved uniting and potential maintenance of two queen colonies
- Increased hive volume without loss of foraging efficiency.
- Resembles an entrance that the bees would create in the wild. Honey bees have
evolved strategies to closely regulate the internal environment of their nest cavities
through heating, cooling:
- Makes ‘Cold Way’ Warm (Sword and Shield) with all its benefits for the storage of pollen and honey;
- Exit for drones above the queen excluder.
UD Hive trial in Africa
rodents, reptiles and wasps.